Header

 photo 4notext_zps7ff5226b.jpg  photo 3notext_zps0c82ea50.jpg  photo 1notext_zps1e4d9aeb.jpg

Thursday 2 May 2013

When Virtual Life Meets Real Life...

Today me and the boyfriend went to meet a fellow guildie (whom I will now refer to as P). P was on holiday at a relatively close sea-side town and so I took a day off work and we got the train over for a few hours. It was only a short visit, a matter of 3 or so hours, as the boyf had to get back for work this evening. Slightly annoyingly another guildie was visiting the same town this bank holiday weekend and has come down a day early (this evening) but we weren't able to stay around a meet him.

For me, and the boyf, this was our first experience of meeting a guildie as such. Obviously, I live with a fellow guildie (the boyf) but he was my boyfriend long before I started to play WoW. Similarly, I have friends from university that play WoW, several of which are in my guild, but again I knew them in real life first. More recently, a work colleague of mine plays WoW and we do occassionally do things together in Azeroth.

Our sand castle version of Stormwind post-
 Deathwing's attack.
I built this sand castle :)

I really wasn't sure what exactly to expect. I have known P ever since I started to play the game casually on my boyfriends account. When I got my own account, Feb 2012, he was currently away from the game but once he got back he really helped me get to grips with my hunter etc. The boyfriend has known P for a number of years - I'm not exactly sure how many but I'd say we're esily talking 3 years. So, what I guess I'm trying to say is we both know P pretty well and could be fairly sure he was not in fact a she or likely to be awkward to meet / chat to.

We spent the day at the beach building sand castles (as you may have guessed from the pics). I'll point out that P has a son who was a brilliant excuse for such activities. Whilst we were chilling out on the beach we spoke generally about WoW, the guild and real life stuff. Our guild is very family-esque and everything is discussed including real life so todays conversations were nothing out of the ordinary. I guess if I'm honest it was just like the conversations we'd have on a normal day playing WoW. But this normalilty doesn't mean that it wasn't a big day for all involved.

I really would love to meet more of my guildies! Unfortunately me and the boyf are pretty far away (geographically) from most of the UK guildies which makes things tricky. Not to mention those that live abroad in places like Holland. I think it's a great experience to really meet someone that you spend many hours a week with in a virtual world.

6 comments:

  1. I would LOVE to be able to meet some of the people I've been playing with for years and was hoping to do so at BlizzCon this year...but none are going. Bummer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww that really is a bummer! Do any of your guild live close enough for you to meet in the middle or would it have to a lucky near by holiday destination like mine was?

      Also gratz on receiving the [Quickest comment ever award]!

      Delete
  2. I love meeting people but sometimes the etiquette is funny - I actually PREFER being called by my game name than my real name by people in WoW! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never really thought about the name thing as I'm known as Jojo or Jo which is my name in both worlds. I think I'd find it weirder to be called Oogleme now as I'm so used to Jojo!

      Delete
  3. I've met a few guildies IRL now, one of my closest wow friends (and now rl friend) actually came to stay for a few days. It took me a while to stop thinking of her as a tall white haired Nelf in my imagination, even after I met her. But it really makes a difference when you do make that transition from them only being a voice on the end of your headphones to a face and person that you've met.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree - I imagine guildies as their characters. It's almost disappointing that the reality is were all humans! And meeting someone really does make a difference.

      Delete